~~ Book Published by T. Hasegawa ~~
Landscapes of Tokyo
Hasegawa, T. (Takejiro)
Landscapes of Tokyo, Calendar 1905, Tokyo (Honmura, Yotsuya), 1903 (Meiji 37), square/large 16mo (5 1/2 x 5 1/2 in - 14 x 14 cm), medium size for a Hasegawa publication, calendar published in a book form, 8 folded crepe paper pages, 16 pages total including covers. Each calendar woodblock print is viewed as a continuous scene from the left hand side of page across to the adjoining right hand side page. Except for January and December, each scene contains two monthly calendars within the image.
The subjects of the woodblocks are:
- January - "Mikado's Palace from Afar"
- February & March - "Yushima/Shinobazu Pond"
- April & May - "Mukojima Cherry Tree Walk/The Temples and Round Bridges at Kameido"
- June & July - "Hikifume River at Kumme"
- August & September - "The Polished Autumn Moon over Shinagawa Bay""
- October & November - "Autumnal Tints on the Maple Trees at Kaianji"
- December - "The Snowy Scenery of Meguro"
Hasegawa published a larger size calendar for 1905 with the title of Street Scenes Calendar. Information on that calendar is found here.
For more information on T. Hasegawa, click here.
Close up of the Colophon on the Back Cover
(3rd column from the right): Meiji 37 (1904).3.1 (printing date)
(4th column from the right): Meiji 37 (1904).3.10 (publication date)
(5th column from the right): 38 Honmura-cho, Yotsuya-ku, Tokyo