Prefect of Simoda (Type I)
Click the picture for image
of complete lithograph
On the third day in Simoda (April 21, 1854), Commodore Perry visited the Kura-Kawa-Kahai (Mayor) of Simoda who is pictured in this lithograph..
Commodore Perry visited the newly opened port of Simoda on the 18th of April, 1854. He remained there until the 9th of May. This particular excursion resulted in a total of 15 lithographs, which is approximately 17% of all the lithographs in the Narrative. It appears that Commodore Perry was very much impressed with Simoda and found many aspects of it to represent typical facets of Japanese culture and life. These were recorded in paintings by Heine.
The Narrative described Simoda as a town of approximately 1,000 houses and 7,000 inhabitants located on a small island near the mouth Yedo Bay. While the town appeared to the expedition members to be impoverished and lacking significant trading facilities, they were impressed with its beauty and cleanliness.
The titles/lettering read:
- Dag by E. Brown, Jr.
- Lith of Sarony & Co. N.Y.
- KURA-KAWA-KAHAI PREFECT OF SIMODA (Type I)
- KURA-KAWA-KAHAI PREFECT OF SIMODA. (Type II)
Condition. Very clean.
I have noted two types of this lithograph. I call this one Type I. There is
no "." after "SIMODA" in the title/lettering. In Type II there is a "." after Simoda. The faces of the figures vary slightly and in Type I they appear to be fuller than in Type II. To see the differences, click here.
Page Size (cm): 28.6x22.3cm
Image Size (cm): Width-23.9, Height-16.5, Dia 29.1
Attribution: This lithograph has been positively confirmed to be from the Beverley Tucker, Senate Printing (1856), of the Narrative.
Terms & Conditions.
- Payment with Order. US Dollar Check or Money Order Payable by a Bank in the US or PayPal Payment.
- Postage (US Postal Service) and Insurance: $6.00 within the US; $18.00 outside the US (Outside US at Buyer's risk of loss in mail). Additional postage applies when framesets are ordered or where shipment is to an address outside the US.
- Discounts (Based on Order Filled): Over $500 - 10% Over $1,000 - 15% - Discounts do not apply to frame sets. They are priced net.
- New Mexico sales (gross receipts) tax is due when applicable.