First Landing at Gorahama
Click the picture for image
of complete lithograph
Commodore Perry's four ship squadron arrived off the City of Uraga on July 8, 1853. His primary mission at this time was to deliver the letter from the President to appropriate Japanese officials. This was negotiated over a period of several days and the landing for this event occurred on July 14, 1853. The landing was conducted with much military ceremony. This lithograph depicts that event. In the center you see Commodore Perry at the head of the US party closing with the Japanese authorities. Japanese soldiers completely surround the American landing party. In the left background, the US Steam Frigates Mississippi and Susquehanna are visible at anchor in the bay.
The titles/lettering read:
- W. Heine
- Js. Queen del. or J. Queen del
- P.S. Duval & Co. Phila
- FIRST LANDING AT GORAHAMA
Very clean with light soiling along left edge.
Page Size (cm): 28.7x22.3 cm
Image Size (cm): Width-23.5, Height-16, Diagonal-28.5
Attribution: This lithograph has been positively confirmed to be from the Beverley Tucker, Senate Printing (1856), of the Narrative.
Terms & Conditions.
- Payment with Order. US Dollar Check or Money Order Payable by a Bank in the US or PayPal Payment.
- Postage (US Postal Service) and Insurance: $6.00 within the US; $18.00 outside the US (Outside US at Buyer's risk of loss in mail). Additional postage applies when framesets are ordered or where shipment is to an address outside the US.
- Discounts (Based on Order Filled): Over $500 - 10% Over $1,000 - 15% - Discounts do not apply to frame sets. They are priced net.
- New Mexico sales (gross receipts) tax is due when applicable.