~~ Book 1861071114d ~~
by Captain Sherard Osborn, C.B.
Condition. The book is Good condition. The covers and spine are heavily faded. There is puckering of the cloth along the top, bottom and side edges of the front cover. Edges are scraped (including along the spine) and corners bumped. Gilt on the spine is quite faded. Internally very clean. One color plate ("Fishing Boats at Sea") has a 3/4 in tear in the margin. The front paste down shows evidence of removal of a large book plate or similar type item that was once affixed.
Osborn, Captain Sherard:
Japanese Fragments. With Facsimiles of Illustrations By Artists of Yedo, London, Bradbury & Evans, 1861, large 12mo (5 3/4 x 7 1/2 in - 14.5 x 18.8 cm), purple blindstamped cloth boards with gilt vignette (boys feeding storks) on front board and gilt lettering and decoration on spine, gilt edges, 6 color woodblock plates, 11 black and white woodblock engravings and 6 woodblock text illustrations, 139 pp. Japanese history with focus on foreign contacts with Japan. Said to be one of the earliest appearances of Hokusai and Hiroshige color prints in any Western publication.
Table of Contents
THE FIRST KNOWLEDGE OF JAPAN BY EUROPEANS
-- KUBLAI KHAN'S ATTEMPT TO INVADE IT
-- JAPAN ORIGINALLY SUBJUGATED BY CHINESE COLONISTS
-- SIN-FUH THE MUST RULER OF JAPAN
-- THE THEOCRACY HE ESTABLISHED ENDS 100 TEARS
BEFORE KUBLAI KHAN'S INVASION .......... 1
GEOGRAPHICAL RESEMBLANCE TO THE BRITISH ISLES
-- FEUDAL FORM OF GOVERNMENT
-- CHARACTER OF THE JAPANESE PEOPLE ........... 16
JAPANESE NAUTICAL ENTERPRISE
-- EARLY EUROPEAN INTERCOURSE
-- H(C)RISTANITY INTRODUCED WITH GREAT SUCCESS . 26
REACTION AGAINST CHRISTANITY
-- PERSECUTION AND EXPULSION OF EUROPEANS
-- THE EMPEROR TAIKO-SAMA ..................... 40
EARLY DUTCH AND BRITISH INTERCOURSE
-- INFLUENCE OF WILLIAM ADAMS
-- THE ENGLISH TREATY WITH JAPAN OF 1613........ 56
A DAY'S JOURNEY BETWEEN YEDO AND MIACO
-- EVERY-DAY LIFE IN JAPAN ..................... 78
CONTINUATION OF THE JOURNEY, AND SCENES BY WAYSIDE 94
SUMMARY OF THE OPENING UP THE JAPANESE EMPIRE
TO EUROPEAN INTERCOURSE IN THE PRESENT DAY .... 116
LIST OF COLOURED PLATES.
VIEW OF YEDO BAY FROM THE HILLS OVER KANAGAWA Frontispiece
2. LABOURERS TRANSPLANTING RICE IN THE RAINS 18
3. FISHING BOATS AT SEA 31
4. VIEW OF A WATERFALL, SEEN BETWEEN
CLOUD AND SPRAY 79
5. RETINUE OF A GRANDEE CROSSING A FORD 112
6. SCENE ON A BRIDGE 129
Full Page Color Woodblock Plates (6 in Total):
- View of Yedo Bay from the Hills Over Kanagawa
- Labourers Transporting Rice in the Rains
- Fishing Boats at Sea
- View of a Waterfall, Seen Between Cloud and Spray
- Retinue of Grandee Crossing a Ford
- Scene on a Bridge
Full Page Black and White Woodblock Illustrations (11 in Total):
- Travellers First Sighting Fusi-hama
- Pilgrims Ascending Fusi-hama
- A Party Crossing a Ford
- A Japanese Lady ....
- A Japanese Hero in the Rain Taking Off His Hat ...
- Wayside Scene
- Reapers Enjoying Their Meal at Haravest-Time
- Horse Breaking in Japan
- "How Soldiers Are Fed in Nipon!"
- Fishermen Catching Boneta, or Large Mackerel
- A Japanese Inn or Tea-House
Text Illustrations (6 in Total):
- Doctor Examining the Tongue of a Patient
- Fusi-hama Seen Through the Rain
- Head of A Felon, and Excecutioner Declaring His Crime
- "Soldiers Arming Themselves After Peace"
- Boys Struggling with Live Ells