Fish Market Canton (Type II)
Click the picture for image
of complete lithograph
After departing Singapore on March 29, 1853, the expedition headed for Macao and Hong Kong arriving at anchorage in Hong Kong on April 7. The Mississippi went on to Whampoa via Macao where it was anchored. Perry then went up river by small Chinese boat to Canton.
This lithograph depicts a fish market in Canton. Perry noted that Canton was the "...emporium of the great trade of Europe and America with China; the annual amount of which was, some years ago, estimated at eighty millions of dollars, the principal part of which is under the control of the merchants of England and the United States."
The titles/lettering read:
- From nature by W. Heine
- Lith. of Sarony & Co. New York.
- FISH MARKET CANTON
Paper thickness is 7mm.
I have noted two different types of the picture on this lithograph. I call this one Type II. The differences are in the white patterns on the awning (regular shaped on type II), the tips of the roof tiles (dull white on type II) and the passenger compartment being carried by the two men (large amount of white in type II). To see the differences, click here.
Page Size (cm): 27.5x20.7cm
Image Size (cm): Width-24, Height-16.4, Diagonal-29
Terms & Conditions.
- Payment with Order. US Dollar Check or Money Order Payable by a Bank in the US or PayPal Payment.
- Postage (US Postal Service) and Insurance: $6.00 within the US; $18.00 outside the US (Outside US at Buyer's risk of loss in mail). Additional postage applies when framesets are ordered or where shipment is to an address outside the US.
- Discounts (Based on Order Filled): Over $500 - 10% Over $1,000 - 15% - Discounts do not apply to frame sets. They are priced net.
- New Mexico sales (gross receipts) tax is due when applicable.