Whampoa Pagoda & Anchorage
Click the picture for image
of complete lithograph
After departing Singapore on March 29, 1853, the expedition headed for Macao and Hong Kong arriving at anchorage in Hong Kong on April 7. From Hong Kong they proceeded to Canton via Macao finally stopping at the anchorage in Whampoa on the Canton River.
This lithograph depicts the anchorage at Whampoa and the famous Whampoa Pagoda. Perry noted "The pagoda here is a marked object, and however it may be venerated by the Chinese, on religious grounds, is no less regarded for its usefulness as a land mark by foreign vessels for they steer and anchor by its bearings."
The titles/lettering read:
- From nature by Heine Figures by Brown
- Lith. of Sarony & Co. New York.
- WHAMPOA PAGODA & ANCHORAGE
Right edge (binding edge) is trimmed. Medium size stain in right margin. 3mm tear in top margin.
Paper thickness is 8.25mm.
Page Size (cm): 28.9x21.4cm
Image Size (cm): Width-16.9, Height-23.3, Diagonal-28.7
Measurements consistent with Nicholson Printing.
Attribution: This lithograph has been positively confirmed to be from the Beverley Tucker, Senate Printing (1856), of the Narrative.
Terms & Conditions.
- Payment with Order. US Dollar Check or Money Order Payable by a Bank in the US or PayPal Payment.
- Postage (US Postal Service) and Insurance: $6.00 within the US; $18.00 outside the US (Outside US at Buyer's risk of loss in mail). Additional postage applies when framesets are ordered or where shipment is to an address outside the US.
- Discounts (Based on Order Filled): Over $500 - 10% Over $1,000 - 15% - Discounts do not apply to frame sets. They are priced net.
- New Mexico sales (gross receipts) tax is due when applicable.