Phasianus Soemmeringii, Temminck
Type II (Image Not in Box Frame)
Click the picture for image
of complete lithograph
The bird in the lithograph is the Phasianus Soemmeringii, Temminck. This pheasant was only found in Japan at the time of the expedition. The lithograph shows the male (on the left) and the female (on the right).
This is a hand-colored lithograph. Other lithographs in the Narrative have color but they were not hand-colored. Rather, they were printed with color in the lithograph process. The Narrative contains only 12 hand-colored lithographs (6 birds, 4 scenes, 2 shells) and they are all found in Volume 2. There are also 10 steel engravings (fish) in volume II.
Volume 2 of the Narrative is composed of a series of reports, most by expedition members on the topography, geology, botany, agriculture, and resources of the countries visited.
This hand-colored lithograph is from the section entitled Birds, A. -- Birds Collected in Japan. This report in Volume II was prepared by John Cassin, a member of the Philadelphia Academy of Natural Sciences. Cassin was this country's first serious bird taxonomist and is considered by many naturalists the most informed ornithologist of his era in the United States.
The titles/lettering read:
- Plate 2 _ Ornithology
- Lith of Wm E Hithcock, Philada (To the Left)
- PHASIANUS SOEMMERINGII __ TEMMINCK
Nice crisp colors. Light text foxing. No stains.
Page Size (cm): 28.8x20.9cm
Image Size (cm): Width-21, Height-13.5
Terms & Conditions.
- Payment with Order. US Dollar Check or Money Order Payable by a Bank in the US or PayPal Payment.
- Postage (US Postal Service) and Insurance: $6.00 within the US; $18.00 outside the US (Outside US at Buyer's risk of loss in mail). Additional postage applies when framesets are ordered or where shipment is to an address outside the US.
- Discounts (Based on Order Filled): Over $500 - 10% Over $1,000 - 15% - Discounts do not apply to frame sets. They are priced net.
- New Mexico sales (gross receipts) tax is due when applicable.