Funchal, Madeira from the Curral
Click the picture for image
of complete lithograph
Maderia was the first stop on the outbound journey. The Mississippi anchored in the harbor just below the mountain know as Loo Rock.
In this lithograph you see a home and residents in the foreground with the harbor and the sidewheel steam ships of the expedition in the background. The scene in the lithograph is not explained in the narrative. I believe curral means valley. This would be a view of Funchal looking down at it from a valley. Commodore Perry was very complimentary of the people, scenery, climate and hospitality of Funchal.
The titles/lettering read:
- Drawn from nature by Heine. Figures by Brown
- Ackerman Lith. 379 Broadway N.Y.
- FUNCHAL, MADEIRA FROM THE CURRAL
Bottom edge (binding edge) has been trimmed. Large foxing spot at upper right.
Paper thickness is 8mm.
I have observed two types of this lithograph. I call this Type I. To see the differences in the types, click here.
Page Size (cm): 28.9x22cm
Image Size (cm): Width-23.5, Height-16.4, Diagonal-28.6
Measurements are consistent with Nicholson printing.
Compare measurements with other formats: Measurement Table
Terms & Conditions.
- Payment with Order. US Dollar Check or Money Order Payable by a Bank in the US or PayPal Payment.
- Postage (US Postal Service) and Insurance: $6.00 within the US; $18.00 outside the US (Outside US at Buyer's risk of loss in mail). Additional postage applies when framesets are ordered or where shipment is to an address outside the US.
- Discounts (Based on Order Filled): Over $500 - 10% Over $1,000 - 15% - Discounts do not apply to frame sets. They are priced net.
- New Mexico sales (gross receipts) tax is due when applicable.