U.S. Steam Frigate Mississippi
Passing Punta Tristao (Type II)
Click the picture for image
of complete lithograph
Commodore Perry departed the United States on November 24, 1852 aboard the U.S. Steam Ship Mississippi, the ship shown in this lithograph. The expedition was nine months late when Perry departed Norfolk aboard the Mississippi. During this first leg of the Expedition, the Mississippi served as Commodore Perry's Flagship. Some of the squadron ships were to follow from the US and others were already in the China Sea. Here we see the Mississippi in a "heavy 'rolling' sea" encountered when reaching the Tristram Point (Punta Tristao), the northernmost point of Maderia. The ship was 17 days out of Norfolk on December 11, the approximate date for this image.
The titles/lettering read:
- Jas. Queen delt (Type I)
- J. Queen delt (Type II)
- From nature by Heine -- Shipping by Brown
- P.S. Duval & Co's Lithy Philad (Type I)
- P.S. Duval & Co's Lithy Phila (Type II)
- U.S. STEAM FRIGATE MISSISSIPPI PASSING PUNTA TRISTAO, N. WEST POINT OF MADEIRA.
Condition. Ragged bottom (binding) margin, light smuding and toning in margins.
I have noted more than one variety of this lithograph. I call this Type II. It has a blue/gray tint and no bird in the lower left corner. To see the different types, click here.
Page Size (cm): 28.7x22.4cm
Image Size (cm): Width-23.5, Height-16, Diagonal-28.4
Attribution: This lithograph has been positively confirmed to be from the Beverley Tucker, Senate Printing (1856), of the Narrative.
Terms & Conditions.
- Payment with Order. US Dollar Check or Money Order Payable by a Bank in the US or PayPal Payment.
- Postage (US Postal Service) and Insurance: $6.00 within the US; $18.00 outside the US (Outside US at Buyer's risk of loss in mail). Additional postage applies when framesets are ordered or where shipment is to an address outside the US.
- Discounts (Based on Order Filled): Over $500 - 10% Over $1,000 - 15% - Discounts do not apply to frame sets. They are priced net.
- New Mexico sales (gross receipts) tax is due when applicable.